Even if you are just moving down the street, moving can be a huge task. Often a move without planning looms over your head for months and procrastination sets in. Before you know it, move day is in a week and your house looks the exact same way it did months before.
There are many ways to prepare early and take shortcuts to make sure this doesn’t happen to you. As soon as you know there is a move on the horizon, begin these simple strategies to begin preparing your home for your move. These shortcuts for Best Choice Movers will help you take the stress out of your move.
Read below for shortcuts for a stress-free move:
4-1 WEEKS BEFORE MOVE
- Begin clearing clutter from your home. Start with closets, the garage, basement and attic.
- Get rid of everything you don’t want moved. Host a “garage sale” or use an online auction service to dispose of unwanted items. Donate unwanted clothing or household goods to charitable organizations.
- Decide if you want to pack by yourself – or if you would like to trust it to our professional packing services. Our packers can always make arrangement to pack-up your place once you decide.
- Confirm your moving service with us. You will receive an email with confirmation from Best Choice Moving & Storage with moving information, which will include the moving date, moving crew arrival time, contact information, your old & new addresses, and our service information.
- Book the elevator(s) if needed. When you move out of an apartment unit, the building management will help you to lock up an elevator for movers to go faster & easier. Same situation as moving in!
- Get packing supplies like boxes, tape, paper or bubble wrap, furniture blankets, mattress bags and markers. Contact Best Choice Moving for both high-quality, pro packing supplies, and your personal packing advices from our customer manager.
- As you start packing, label, label, label. You’ll thank yourself later!
- Begin packing what you can. It’s never too early to box up items you know you won’t use before the move, such as books, pictures, knick-knacks, and out-of-season clothing.
ONE DAY BEFORE MOVE
- Collect things you definitely want packed together and group them.
- If taking your fridge/freezer, it is recommended that the doors be left open for 24 prior to moving to avoid mold.
- Wait to pack your cleaning supplies until you’ve done your last cleanup—especially if you have a security deposit. Don’t forget to clean the oven!
- Have an essentials-grab bag with toothbrushes, chargers, medicines paper towels, toilet paper, coffeemaker, paper plates/cups and plastic ware.
- Unplug all electronic appliances 24 hours before so that they will be at room temperature.
- Clear walkways of ice or snow.
- If you’re using our packing services, make a “do not pack” section and mark it clearly.
- Labeling rooms will always be really helpful. Using painter’s tape, label the door to each room of your current home and ask the crew to inventory/mark company packed boxes accordingly. Then, use the same room labels at your destination.
- Get preparation for your kids and pets, make sure to take care of them on the coming moving day!
The earlier you make moving plans, the better your move goes on the moving day! It’s never too early to get prepared, and you will find your move is smooth & easy.